Brazil 1733-M 6400 reis
This specimen was lot 23273 in Heritage sale 3024 (Chicago, April 2013), where it sold for $58,750. The catalog description noted, "Perhaps the finest Minas 6400 Reis in existence João V gold 6400 Reis 1733/23-M, AU58 NGC. Superior condition with strong strike and detailed bust. Reverse in mint state with a near perfect strike with all mini-shield and towers complete. Dobras (or 12800 Reis) were commonly struck at the Minas mint as were the larger 20000 Reis of 1724-1727. Clearly, perhaps with the great amount of gold in the hillsides of Vila Rica, the demand for larger gold coins (where the Crown's quinto was greater) show in the population of coins that remain in existence with the 'M' mint mark. 6400 Reis (or Peça) struck at the Minas mint are extemely elusive. We have sold a single piece of the more 'common' date of 1734 in our CICF auction in 2012. That piece in AU55 realized $57,500. The RLM specimen, although only one grade higher, is far superior in eye appeal and details. An outsta[nd]ing coin that will draw close attention from collectors in Brazil, Portugal and worldwide. From The RLM Collection." This type was struck 1731-50 and is among the more available colonial gold coins of Brazil tho the early dates (especially the ones from Minas Gerais) are rare.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 14.34 g, .917 fine gold, .423 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 135, Russo-281, Gomes-133.04.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3024, featuring the Kairos and Elizabeth McPhall Charters Collections, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.