Brazil 1733-M 3200 reis
"Very Rare Overdate, Among the Finest Known of this Rare Type. João V gold 3200 Reis (Meia Peça) 1733/27-M AU53 NGC, Vila Rica mint. Most attractive for the designation, with only slight friction on the high points, clean and partially lustrous surfaces free of significant handling marks and attractively toned with reddish hues on the peripheries. Despite the misattribution on the insert, the overdate 1733/27 appears quite clearly, especially on the third digit, while the confusion is specifically addressed in both Gomes and Bentes. All Meia Peças of João V of the Minas mint are very rare and comparable in their elusiveness to the ones issued at the Bahia mint. Essentially all confirmed specimens are in VF or lower grades, with many being also impaired. The present example is truly a superb representative of this issue, being among the finest of the type seen by the cataloger and one of only a handful of confirmed specimens of the 1733/27 overdate. To obtain a comparable specimen would be a daunting task! As such, another landmark offering for the João V gold series, and sure to attract the strongest interest. From The Santa Catarina Collection of Brazilian Gold Coins."This type was struck at the Minas Gerais mint 1727-33 and at Bahia 1727-50 and at Rio 1727-49.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 7.17 g, .917 fine gold, .211 oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 130, Russo-277, Gomes-125.07, Bentes-122.07.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3037, featuring the Empire, the Santa Catarina, the Law and the Santa Maria Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.