Brazil 1733-M 12800 reis
This specimen was lot 489 in Ponterio sale 164 (New York, January 2012), where it sold for $47,437.50. The catalog description noted, "BRAZIL. 12,800 Reis, 1733-M. Tied for Finest of Type BY NGC João V (1706-50). Lustrous and well struck, a superb example. NGC MS-65." This type was struck 1727-33 in Minas Gerais and is among the glamorous colonial gold coins of Brazil. This type was also struck in Bahia (KM 138) and Rio de Janeiro (KM 140) during this period. This coin was called the "double joe" in English speaking countries.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 28.68 g, .917 fine gold, .845 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-55; KM-139; LDMB-289; Gomes-139.09.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 164: The January 2012 N.Y.I.N.C. Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2011.