Brazil 1732-R 12800 reis
This specimen was lot 31028 in Heritage sale 3037 (New York, January 2015), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "João V gold 12800 Reis 1732-R AU55 NGC, Rio de Janeiro mint. An attractive example for the designation, with lustrous surfaces showing slight wear evidence and free of offensive handling marks. The dobra are among the most impressive gold coins issued by colonial Brazil, and demand for unflawed specimens has always outstripped the comparably scant supply. Higher grade examples such as the present coin are quite desirable and much sought after. A very scarce issue, much more elusive than its Vila Rica (Minas) mint siblings in unusually fine quality. From The Santa Catarina Collection of Brazilian Gold Coins." This type was struck between 1727 and 1733 in Rio de Janeiro and features the bust of João VI, king of Portugal 1706-50. While the 6400 réis is relatively available, this type, the only 12,800 réis issued, is much scarcer. This type was also struck in Bahia (KM 138) and Minas Gerais (KM 139) during this period.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 28.68 g, .917 fine gold, .845 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 148, Russo-227, Gomes-139.11.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3037, featuring the Empire, the Santa Catarina, the Law and the Santa Maria Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.