Brazil 1731-R 12800 reis
This specimen was lot 31026 in Heritage sale 3037 (New York, January 2015), where it sold for $12,925. The catalog description noted, "João V gold 12800 Reis (Dobra) 1731/0-R MS61 NGC, Rio de Janeiro mint. Type 1 Shield (Oval). Mint State and quite attractive for the assigned grade, presenting only slight cabinet or stacking highpoint friction, fewer than the expected handling marks and gorgeous reddish toning over significantly lustrous surfaces. One of the most emblematic issues of the Brazilian Colonial series, this large gold type is conditionally very scarce, most-desirable and heavily sought after in this charming preservation. From The Santa Catarina Collection of Brazilian Gold Coins." This type was struck between 1727 and 1733 in Rio de Janeiro and features the bust of João VI, king of Portugal 1706-50. While the 6400 réis is relatively available, this type, the only 12,800 réis issued, is much scarcer. This type was also struck in Bahia (KM 138) and Minas Gerais (KM 139) during this period.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 28.68 g, .917 fine gold, .845 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 140, Russo-197a, Gomes-139.08.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3037, featuring the Empire, the Santa Catarina, the Law and the Santa Maria Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.