Brazil 1730-R 12800 reis
This specimen was lot 31024 in Heritage sale 3037 (New York, January 2015), where it sold for $18,800. The catalog description noted, "João V gold 12800 Reis 1730-R MS63 NGC, Rio de Janeiro mint, The 1730/29 overdate variety although not identified as such in the insert (and curiously unlisted in Russo). Choice Unicirculated with rather frosty surfaces and quite an impressive strike. A most pleasant coin with contact marks commensurate with the designation while the trivial adjustment marks on the reverse remain totally unobtrusive to the eye-appeal. Mint State dobras from the Rio mint are unquestionably very rare. Choice specimens such as the present coin are even more desirable and eagerly sought. A perfect type coin for this legendary and massive gold issue, truly elusive in this superb quality and sure to attract competitive bidding from connoisseurs of the Brazilian Colonial series. From The Santa Catarina Collection of Brazilian Gold Coins." This type was struck between 1727 and 1733 in Rio de Janeiro and features the bust of João VI, king of Portugal 1706-50. While the 6400 réis is relatively available, this type, the only 12,800 réis issued, is much scarcer. This type was also struck in Bahia (KM 138) and Minas Gerais (KM 139) during this period.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 28.68 g, .917 fine gold, .845 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 140, Russo-196 var.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3037, featuring the Empire, the Santa Catarina, the Law and the Santa Maria Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.