Brazil 1730-M 800 reis
This specimen was lot 23264 in Heritage sale 3024 (Chicago, April 2013), where it sold for $5,581.25. The catalog description noted, "One of the finest known of the type João V gold 800 Reis 1730-M, AU58 NGC. This 800 Reis specimen from 1730 is another numismatic jewel from the RLM Collection. Rarely found better than VF condition, this coin, although with the slightest of rubs on the highest points of the King's peruke, is in outstanding condition. Partial luster on both sides with a full bust and great details on the shield on the reverse. Certainly for those with a special eye for quality." This type was struck in Minas Gerais 1727-34 and in Rio in 1727-30 and in Bahia 1727-50. Despite the three active mints and the many dates in the catalog, this type is very seldom seen.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 1.79 g, .917 fine gold, .053 oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 120, Russo-259, Gomes-114.04.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3024, featuring the Kairos and Elizabeth McPhall Charters Collections, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.