Brazil 1729-B 12800 reis
This specimen was lot 20109 in Heritage sale 3021 (New York, January 2013), where it sold for $105,750. The catalog description noted, "Possibly Unique Brazilian Colonial Rarity João V gold 12800 Reis 1729-B, 'First Shield Type' variety. Extremely rare and previously unknown. Sharp AU, surfaces lightly burnished from jewelry use and skillfully repaired on the reverse at 3 and 9 o'clock. For decades, Brazilian and Portuguese numismatists have discussed and debated the existence of the 12800 Reis (or Dobra) from the Bahia mint of 1729 featuring the so-called 1st Shield (or Reverse) Variety. The very few Bahia Dobras of 1729 that have surfaced have all been of the 2nd Shield Variety but with the offering of this coin we can finally confirm the existence of the type. It's a major discovery for Brazilian and Portuguese numismatics and should demand lively bidding from advance collectors worldwide." The type was struck in Bahia 1727-29 with all dates marked as rare.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 28.68 g, .917 fine gold, .845 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 138, Russo-087, unlisted in Gomes.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3021, featuring the Cecil Webster, Richard P. Ariagno and Elizabeth McPhall Charters Collection, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2012.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Sáez Salgado, Javier, Moedas de Ouro de Portugal, 1185-1889, Lisbon, Numisma Leiloes, 2001.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.