Brazil 1727-M 800 reis
This specimen was lot 23261 in Heritage sale 3024 (Chicago, April 2013), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "João V gold 800 Reis 1727-M, VF Details NGC, ex-jewelry. The gold 800 Reis (or Half-Escudo) of João V were struck in from 1727 to 1734 at the Minas mint and remains todays a very elusive type. The RLM collection includes all 8 dates, some in far superior condition than the pieces in existence. The 1727 is the rarest of the series. From The RLM Collection." This type was struck in Minas Gerais 1727-34 and in Rio in 1727-30 and in Bahia 1727-50. Despite the three active mints and the many dates in the catalog, this type is very seldom seen.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 1.79 g, .917 fine gold, .053 oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 120, Russo-256, Gomes-114.01.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3024, featuring the Kairos and Elizabeth McPhall Charters Collections, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.