Brazil 1727-B 800 reis
This specimen was lot 23164 in Heritage sale 3020 (Long Beach, September 2012), where it sold for $11,162.50. The catalog description noted, "João V gold 800 Reis 1727B, nice AVF, lightly toned and original, very rare type from the Bahia Mint. The details on this example are quite bold and the wear is even on both sides." This type was struck in Minas Gerais 1727-34 and in Rio in 1727-30 and in Bahia 1727-50. Despite the three active mints and the many dates in the catalog, this type is very seldom seen.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 53.78 g, .917 fine gold, 1.586 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 122.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Tucker, Warren, and Cris Bierrenbach, Heritage Signature Auction 3020: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2012.