Brazil 1726-M 4000 reis
This specimen was lot 23242 in Heritage sale 3024 (Chicago, April 2013), where it sold for $9,987.50. The catalog description noted, "João V 4000 Reis 1726-M, AU Details NGC, mount skillfully removed at 12 o'clock with rim repaired. Choice details with fields a bit dulled by jewelry. Very sharp and strong strike. From The RLM Collection." This type was struck 1714-1727 in Bahia and 1707-27 at Rio and 1724-27 at Minas Gerais as part of the "moeda provincial" series. While the 4000 réis is relatively available, its fractions (2000 réis and 1000 réis) are much scarcer. The weight of the 4000 réis was lowered from 10.75 g to 8.07 g in 1749; consequently, the earlier issues are quite scarce.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 10.75 g, .917 fine gold, .317 oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 115, Russo-242, Gomes-103.03.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3024, featuring the Kairos and Elizabeth McPhall Charters Collections, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.