Brazil 1725-B 4000 reis
This specimen was lot 30023 in Heritage sale 3029 (New York, January 2014), where it sold for $2,350. The catalog description noted, "Key Date João V gold 4000 Reis 1725-B, AU58 NGC. A rare date with tantalizing luster in the fields. Graces of lovely orange-red coloration on the surfaces deepen at the peripheries. A coin that was missing from the RLM Collection, this is the lone specimen certified by NGC and is the first we have had the pleasure of offering for sale. Ex: 'Colonel' E.H.R. Green; Green Estate' Partnership of Eric P Newman/B.G. Johnson." This type was struck 1714-27 at Rio and Bahia (shown here) with a few from Minas Gerais 1724-27. Mintage of this denomination was suspended in 1727; when it resumed in 1749 it was at a lower weight of 8.07 g.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 10.75 g, .917 fine gold, .317 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 106, Russo-71.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Stuart Levine and Bruce Lorich, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3029, featuring Selections from the Eric P. Newman Collection, Part III, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Sáez Salgado, Javier, Moedas de Ouro de Portugal, 1185-1889, Lisbon, Numisma Leiloes, 2001.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.