Brazil 1723-B 4000 reis
This specimen was lot 30388 in Heritage sale 3029 (New York, January 2014), where it sold for $3,818.75. The catalog description noted, "João V gold 4000 Reis 1723-B, MS62 NGC. A superb example, this coin has sharp details and almost reflective surfaces. Highly attractive and rare in this elite quality. Ex: "Colonel" E.H.R. Green; Green Estate' Partnership of Eric P Newman/B.G. Johnson." This type was struck 1714-1727 in Bahia and 1707-27 at Rio as part of the "moeda provincial" series. While the 4000 réis is relatively available, its fractions (2000 réis and 1000 réis) are much scarcer. The weight of the 4000 réis was lowered from 10.75 g to 8.07 g in 1749; consequently, the earlier issues are quite scarce.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 10.75 g, .917 fine gold, .317 oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 106.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Stuart Levine and Bruce Lorich, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3029, featuring Selections from the Eric P. Newman Collection, Part III, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.