Brazil 1722 40 reis
This specimen was lot 20097 in Heritage sale 3021 (New York, January 2013), where it sold for $25,850. The catalog description noted, "João V Copper 40 Reis 1722 - Horizontal Reverse, XF45 BN NGC. Very pleasing chocolate brown toning with sharp surfaces. Extremely elusive with a 'horizontal reverse', simply listed as 'Rare' in Gomes." Horizontal or rotated reverses are rare in Brazilian colonial coins and bring big premiums there. This specimen realized over five hundred times the catalog value. The regular issue was a one year type with no more forty réis being struck until 1753. The forty réis was the largest copper coin until the devaluation of 1809, when the eighty réis was introduced.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Catalog reference: KM-Unlisted, Gomes 17.02.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3021, featuring the Cecil Webster, Richard P. Ariagno and Elizabeth McPhall Charters Collection, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2012.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Sáez Salgado, Javier, Moedas de Ouro de Portugal, 1185-1889, Lisbon, Numisma Leiloes, 2001.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.