Brazil 1714-R 4000 reis
This specimen was lot 30384 in Heritage sale 3029 (New York, January 2014), where it sold for $763.75. The catalog description noted, "João V gold 4000 Reis 1714-R, XF Details (Mount Removed) NGC. The surfaces remain quite pleasing even with a previous mount, or possibly just a file mark to remove some of the metal, just to the right of 12:00 on the edge. A scarcer date, and the first we have offered." This type was struck in Rio 1707-27 and in Bahia 1714-27 (KM 106). Later issues (1749-1822) were only 8.07 g, like explaining the scarcity of these early issues.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 10.75 g, .917 fine gold, .317 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 102, Russo-166, Fr-27.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Stuart Levine and Bruce Lorich, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3029, featuring Selections from the Eric P. Newman Collection, Part III, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Sáez Salgado, Javier, Moedas de Ouro de Portugal, 1185-1889, Lisbon, Numisma Leiloes, 2001.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.