Brazil 1707-R 4000 reis
This gold 4,000 réis was issued in Brazil, at the Rio mint. The specimen was lot 23159 in Heritage sale 3012 (New York, January 2011), where it sold for $7,475. The catalog description noted, "Pedro II of Portugal gold 4000 Reis 1707R, nice VF-XF, lightly toned and attractive with well-struck details on both sides. Very rare date and a pleasing example." This type was struck 1703-07 and is among the early products of the Brazilian mints. The SCWC states that the 1707-R issued in the name of João V is rare, not the Pedro II issue. Neither are common. Large mintages came later, with the discovery of gold in the Minas Gerais. It was accompanied by a similar 2,000 réis in gold.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 10.75 g, .917 fine gold, .317 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 101.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.* Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Tucker, Warren, and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3012: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2010.