Brazil 1706-R 4000 reis
This specimen was lot 20096 in Heritage sale 3021 (New York, January 2013), where it sold for $18,800. The catalog description noted, "Pedro II gold 4000 Reis 1706-R, AU Details NGC, surface hairlines, nicely toned with extremely sharp details and excellent eye appeal, the surface hairlines noted by NGC are almost non-existent. The 1706 is the rarest date of the this 5-year type." This type was struck 1703-07. All the dates are rare. Mintage of this denomination was suspended in 1727; when it resumed in 1749 it was at a lower weight of 8.07 g.
Recorded mintage: 81,612.
Specification: 10.75 g, .917 fine gold, .317 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 101, Russo-37, Gomes-100.05, Fr-25.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3021, featuring the Cecil Webster, Richard P. Ariagno and Elizabeth McPhall Charters Collection, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2012.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Sáez Salgado, Javier, Moedas de Ouro de Portugal, 1185-1889, Lisbon, Numisma Leiloes, 2001.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.