Brazil 1703-R 4000 reis
This specimen was lot 1113 in the Eliasberg sale, where it sold for $3,910. The catalog description noted, "1703 4,000 reis. Rio mint. MS-62 (NGC). Crowned arms divides denomination, legends around/ Cross of Jerusalem at center, mintmark letter in each of four angles of the cross, legends and date around. Frosty medium gold with a significant portion of lustre remaining. From J.C. Morganthau and Co. (Wayte Raymond)'s sale of the Waldo C. Newcomer collection, February 1935, Lot 63; John H. Clapp Collection; Clapp estate to Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., 1942."
This type was struck 1703-07 along with a rare 2000 réis (KM 100). All the dates are rare. Mintage of this denomination was suspended in 1727; when it resumed in 1749 it was at a lower weight of 8.07 g.
Recorded mintage: 103,308.
Specification: 10.75 g, .917 fine gold, .317 troy oz AGW; this specimen: 10.74 grams, 29.80 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: Fr-25, KM 101, Gomes-100.01.
- Kraljevich, John, John Pack, Elizabeth O. Piper and Frank Van Valen, The Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., Collection of World Gold Coins and Medals, Wolfboro, NH: American Numismatic Rarities, 2005.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Sáez Salgado, Javier, Moedas de Ouro de Portugal, 1185-1889, Lisbon, Numisma Leiloes, 2001.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.