Brazil 1702-P 640 reis
This silver 640 réis was issued in Brazil, at the Pernambuco mint. The specimen was lot 23154 in Heritage sale 3012 (New York, January 2011), where it sold for $460. The catalog description noted, "Pedro II of Portugal 640 Reis 1702-P, nearly VF, somewhat unevenly struck, rare date." This type was struck 1701-02 and is among the first products of the Brazilian mints. It was accompanied by similar 320 réis.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 17.92 g, .917 fine silver, .528 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 90.2, LMDB-P149.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.* Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Tucker, Warren, and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3012: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2010.