Brazil 1702-P 4000 reis
This specimen was lot 1112 in the Eliasberg sale, where it sold for $2760. The catalog description noted, "1702/1 4,000 reis. Pernambuco mint. EF-45 (NGC). Crowned arms divides denomination, legends around/Plain cross at center, mintmark letter in each of four angles of the cross, legends and date around. Medium gold with orange highlights. A pleasing circulated example of this rare one year type. The Norweb piece was ex-jewelry yet still realized $1,100. From J.C. Morganthau and Co. (Wayte Raymond)'s sale of the Waldo C. Newcomer collection, February 1935, Lot 62 (plated, $41); John H. Clapp Collection; Clapp estate to Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., 1942."
It is the sole date listed for this denomination with the "P" mintmark (Pernambuco mint). The overdate, 1702/1, is very clear tho no 1701 is listed. The weight of the "moidore" was lowered to 8.07 g in 1749.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 10.75 g, .917 gold, .317 troy oz AGW. This specimen: 7.88 grams, 27.10 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: KM 99, Fr-24.
- Kraljevich, John, John Pack, Elizabeth O. Piper and Frank Van Valen, The Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., Collection of World Gold Coins and Medals, Wolfboro, NH: American Numismatic Rarities, 2005.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Sáez Salgado, Javier, Moedas de Ouro de Portugal, 1185-1889, Lisbon, Numisma Leiloes, 2001.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.