Brazil 1702-P 320 reis
This silver 320 réis was minted at the Pernambuco mint during 1700-02, among its first issues. This coin would have traded in the 18th century as one-third of a Spanish dollar. The first specimen was lot 20383 in Heritage sale 3009 (Chicago, April 2010), where it sold for $172.50. The catalog description noted, "Pedro II 320 Reis 1702P, VG, rare date." The second specimen was lot 23153 in Heritage sale 3012 (New York, January 2011), where it sold for $3,220. The catalog description noted, "Pedro II of Portugal 320 Reis 1702-P, nice AVF with uniformly gray surfaces, bold date and mintmark, a choice example for this type and date."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 8.96 g, .917 fine silver, .264 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 89.2, Russo 146.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Tucker, Warren, and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3009: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2010.
- Tucker, Warren, and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3012: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2010.