Brazil 1700 80 reis
This silver eighty réis was minted at the Rio mint in Brazil as a two year type in 1699-1700, among its first issues. This coin would have traded in the 18th century as one-twelfth of a Spanish dollar. The specimen was lot 20376 in Heritage sale 3009 (Chicago, April 2010), where it sold for $4,312.50. The catalog description noted, "Pedro II 80 Reis 1700, struck at Rio de Janeiro, good VF, another two-year-type, with this date very rare and seldom seen."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 2.24 g, .917 fine silver, .066 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 87.1, Russo 132.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Tucker, Warren, and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3009: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2010.