Brazil 1699 4000 reis
This gold 4,000 réis was issued in Brazil, at the Rio mint. The specimen was lot 23157 in Heritage sale 3012 (New York, January 2011), where it sold for $1,840. The catalog description noted, "Pedro II gold 4000 Reis 1699(R), AU50 NGC, a lovely piece with unusually strong details and abundant mint luster. Rare grade for this early series." This type was struck 1699-1700 and is among the first products of the Brazilian mints. Large mintages came later, with the discovery of gold in the Minas Gerais. It was accompanied by similar 1,000 and 2,000 réis in gold.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 8.16 g, .917 fine gold, .240 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-21; KM-98; Gomes-32.01; LDMB-031.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.* Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Tucker, Warren, and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3012: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2010.