Brazil 1699 320 reis
The second specimen was part of lot 23307 in Heritage sale 3020 (Long Beach, September 2012), where it sold for $1,880. The catalog description noted, "Collection of Silver 320 Reis, a very nice selection, primarily in Fine to VF quality. This group covers a wide range of dates, and we definitely suggest careful viewing if you want to be competitive." This type was struck 1699 only and is the first coin of this denomination struck in Rio. These early dates saw hard use for over a century, explaining why they are normally seen in low grade.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 8.96 g, .917 fine silver, .264 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 89.1.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Tucker, Warren, and Cris Bierrenbach, Heritage Signature Auction 3020: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2012.