Brazil 1699 160 reis
The second specimen was part of lot 23306 in Heritage sale 3020 (Long Beach, September 2012), where it sold for $1,410. The catalog description noted, "Collection of Brazil 160 Reis, a very nice selection by date from 1695 to 1821. Grades range from VG to XF but are mainly in the Fine to VF category. A most unusual opportunity to acquire a collection of these fascinating coins at one time." This type was struck 1699-1700 and is the first coin of this denomination struck in Rio. It is likely scarcer than catalog values indicate. This specimen has likely been salvaged as it appeares corroded.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 4.48 g, .917 fine silver, .132 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 88.1.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Tucker, Warren, and Cris Bierrenbach, Heritage Signature Auction 3020: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2012.