Brazil 1646 12 florins
Brazil. The specimen was lot 23139 in Heritage sale 3012 (New York, January 2011), where it sold for $54,625. The catalog description noted,
"Possibly Finest Known 12 Florins in existence. Pernambuco. Geoctroyeede West-Indische Compagnie (GWC) 12 Guilders (Florins) 1646, AU, Variety with a rhombus after 'Brazil'. Of all the photographed and documented 12 Guilders of both 1645 and 1646, which is actually most of pieces in existence today, this piece stands out on top. Fully struck on both sides, perfectly cut and with traces of original luster! Most likely this is the best quality 12 Florins one can add to his/her collection. An outstanding piece of numismatic history both for Brazilian and Dutch numismatics."This type is rare; it is listed in the SCWC without a price.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: gold, this specimen 7.52 grams.
Catalog reference: KM 7.1, F-1.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Tucker, Warren, and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3012: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2010.