Brazil (1809) 640 reis c/s on 600 reis
By decree of April 18, 1809, the government authorized the countermarking of older Brazilian copper and silver coinage to raise its face value. The copper coinage was doubled and the silver was increased by one-fifteenth. This raised the specimen shown, originally minted in Rio de Janeiro in 1758, from 600 réis to 640 réis.
The Heritage catalog commented on the "J-series" as follows: "During the reign of José I (1750-1777), with gold flowing out of the mines in the province of Minas Gerais, coins of the so-called 'J series' were struck at the Rio (R) and Bahia (B) mints for circulation in Minas. The purpose of these coins, with odd denominations of 75, 150, 300 and 600 Réis, was to facilitate the gold trade in the province. Gold value was determined in multiples of 150 Réis and corresponded to 4.5 grains (75 Réis), 9 grains (150 Réis), 18 grains (300 réis) and so on. Towards the end of the 18th century, as gold in the Minas mines diminished, the coins of the J-series were countermarked with a 'mini-shield' elevating its value to the standard 80, 160, 320, 640 Réis. Subsequently, in the first decades of the 19th century, the coins of the J series were restruck all together. Coins of this type are some of the most charismatic and challenging series in the vast realm of Brazilian numismatics, and finding a coin in higher than VF condition is extremely difficult."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: same as host coin: 18.11 g, .917 fine silver.
Catalog reference: KM 300.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Tucker, Warren, and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3009: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2010.