Brazil (1699) 20 reis
This silver twenty réis was minted at the Rio mint in Brazil, among its first issues. The coins are not dated but are recorded as having been issued in 1699. This coin would have traded in the 18th century as 1/48 of a Spanish dollar. The specimen was lot 20374 in Heritage sale 3009 (Chicago, April 2010), where it sold for $1,351.25. The catalog description noted, "Pedro II 20 Reis ND (1699), Fine-VF details, signs of mounting between 11 and 1 o'clock on the obverse, and the corresponding spot on the reverse. An extremely rare type, almost impossible to find, and even a less than perfect example such as this is a prize."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 0.56 g, .917 fine silver, .016 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 85.1, Russo 129.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Tucker, Warren, and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3009: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2010.