Brazil (1695-98) 40 reis
This silver forty réis was issued in Brazil at the Bahia mint 1695-98 without a date. The specimen was lot 23150 in Heritage sale 3012 (New York, January 2011), where it sold for $747.50. The catalog description noted, "Pedro II 40 Reis ND (1695-98B), VF25 NGC, low wide crown, a choice example of this tiny denomination with aged patina and bold details, rarely seen this nice!." This type is rare; the forty réis was not a success as a silver coin. When the denomination was revived in the next century, it was as a bronze coin. A similar fate befell the accompanying twenty réis.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 1.12 g, .917 fine silver, .033 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 76, Russo 114.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Tucker, Warren, and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3012: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2010.