Brazil (1695-98) 20 reis
This silver twenty réis was minted at the Bahia mint in Brazil, among its first issues. The coins are not dated but are recorded as having been issued 1695-98. This coin would have traded in the 18th century as 1/48 of a Spanish dollar. The specimen was lot 20368 in Heritage sale 3009 (Chicago, April 2010), where it sold for $3,450. The catalog description noted, "Pedro II 20 Reis ND (1695-98), VF with porous surfaces. An extremely rare type. These tiny 20 Reis types are so rare that most have never even seen one. Many advanced collections do not have even one example out of all the types."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 0.56 g, .917 fine silver, .016 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 74, Russo 113.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Tucker, Warren, and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3009: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2010.