Brazil (1688) 600 reis
This silver 600 réis was counterstamped in Brazil about 1688. The specimen was lot 20341 in Heritage sale 3009 (Chicago, April 2010), where it sold for $2,300. The catalog description noted, "Afonso VI 600 Reis Countermark on Spanish cob 8 Reales, with 480 Reis countermark, Fine. Rarely found issue." This type is rare and unpriced in the SCWC; it is listed therein as a "type VIII" countermark. In 1695 mints were opened in Brazil, obviating the need for countermarks. Later 600 réis of the 1750's were only 18.12 grams.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .931 fine silver, .798 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 65, Russo 12.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Tucker, Warren, and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3009: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2010.