Brandenburg 1667-IL GL thaler Dav-6197
This specimen was lot 23629 in Heritage sale 3030 (New York, January 2014), where it sold for $14,100. The catalog description noted, "A Very Rare Taler of Luise Henriette Brandenburg. Friedrich Wilhelm Taler 1667-IL, Choice AU. Beautifully toned in light gray with warm russet overtones, this Taler commemorates the death of Friedrich's wife, Luise Henriette of Nassau. The reverse details her birthdate, the date of their marriage, and the date of her passing. A flan crack at 2 o'clock detracts little from the overall appeal of this spec[i]men. The details are sharp and the fields remain glossy as the result of a careful strike. Very rare!" In 1667, Friedrich Wilhelm was only Elector of Brandenburg; his son Friedrich III was not granted the title of King of Prussia until 1701. Most Brandenburg thalers prior to the 1690's are rare to very rare.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: silver, this specimen 28.28 g.
Catalog reference: Davenport-6197, KM 365 (listed under Brandenburg).
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Davenport, John S., German Secular Talers, 1600-1700, Frankfurt: Numismatischer Verlag, 1976.
- Craig, William D., Germanic Coinages: Charlemagne through Wilhelm II, Mountain View, CA: 1954.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns and Talers, Since 1800, 2nd Ed., London: Spink & Son, 1964.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3030, featuring the RLM Collection, the Isaac Rudman Collection, the Hans Cook Collection and the Collection of Donald E. Bently, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.