Bolivia 1859-PTS FJ 8 soles KM-138.3
This specimen was lot 1202 in Classical Numismatic Group's sale of the Lissner Collection (Chicago, August 2014), where it sold for $7,865. The catalog description noted, "BOLIVIA, Republic. 1825-present. AR 8 Soles – 1 Peso. Potosí mint. Fortunato Equivar and Joaquin Zemborain, assayers. Dated 1859 PTS FJ. No periods in FJ. In NGC encapsulation graded MS65. Superb toned original specimen in absolute gem condition. A true Jewel of Bolivian Numismatics. Very rare. By far the rarest Bolivian crown in this collection. Highest graded by five grades. Ex Spink 60 (7 October 1987), lot 751." This type represents a midyear weight reduction from 27 g (KM 137) to 20 grams. It is the third type of 1859 and scarce but not rare. The weight is given as "PESO 400 GS" rather than "PO 400 GS".
Recorded mintage: unknown but rare.
Specification: 20 g, .903 fine silver, this specimen Ø35 mm, 20.03 g, 6h axis.
Catalog reference: KM 138.3; Y 6b; El 111.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Teller, M. Louis, and Victor England, Jr., The Richard Lissner Collection, Lancaster, PA: Classical Numismatic Group, 2014.
- 1854 8 soles
- Bolivia 1859-PTS FJ 1/2 sol KM-118.3
- Bolivia 1859-PTS FJ 1/2 sol KM-133.1
- Bolivia 1859-PTS FJ sol KM-119.3
- Bolivia 1859-PTS FJ sol KM-134.1
- Bolivia 1859-PTS FJ 2 soles KM-135.1
- 1859 4 soles
- 1859-Paz 4 soles
- 1859 8 soles, full weight
- 1859 8 soles "PO 400 GS"
- Coins and currency dated 1859
- return to coins of Bolivia