Bolivia 1859-PTS FJ 8 soles KM-138.1
This specimen was lot 1201 in Classical Numismatic Group's sale of the Lissner Collection (Chicago, August 2014), where it sold for $7,260. The catalog description noted, "BOLIVIA, Republic. 1825-present. AR 8 Soles – 1 Peso. Potosí mint. Fortunato Equivar and Joaquin Zemborain, assayers. Dated 1859 PTS FJ. In NGC encapsulation graded MS 61. Beautiful light silver gray patina overall. Evenly toned. Probably the finest known example of this very rare type. Highest graded by NGC by seven grades. Ex World-Wide Coins of California 30 (14 November 1996), lot 421." This type represents a midyear weight reduction from 27 g (KM 137) to 20 grams. It is rare. The weight is given as "PO 400 GS" rather than "PESO 400 GS".
Recorded mintage: unknown but rare.
Specification: 20 g, .903 fine silver, this specimen Ø34 mm, 19.96 g, 6h axis.
Catalog reference: KM 138.1; Y 11a; El 116.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Teller, M. Louis, and Victor England, Jr., The Richard Lissner Collection, Lancaster, PA: Classical Numismatic Group, 2014.
- 1854 8 soles
- Bolivia 1859-PTS FJ 1/2 sol KM-118.3
- Bolivia 1859-PTS FJ 1/2 sol KM-133.1
- Bolivia 1859-PTS FJ sol KM-119.3
- Bolivia 1859-PTS FJ sol KM-134.1
- Bolivia 1859-PTS FJ 2 soles KM-135.1
- 1859 4 soles
- 1859-Paz 4 soles
- 1859 8 soles, full weight
- 1859 8 soles, "PESO 400 GS"
- Coins and currency dated 1859
- return to coins of Bolivia