Bolivia 1791-PTS PR 8 escudos
"1791 PR 8 escudos. Potosi mint. AU-55 (NGC). Armored and draped bust of Carlos IIII to right wearing laurel wreath, legends around, date below/type as above. Medium gold with underlying lustre, obverse rim nick to right of date. Excellent eye appeal, a very nice example of this rare one year type depicting Carlos IV with the laurel wreath. This date called "muy rara" (very rare) in Calico. From the John H. Clapp Collection; Clapp estate to Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., 1942. Plated in Wayte Raymond's Spanish American Gold Coins, 1936; and in the serial published in Coin Collector's Journal, October 1934, Vol. 1, #7, p. 152."
While silver coins from Bolivia exist in vast quantities, gold from Bolivia is scarce. For the colonial period, Colombia may be regarded as the most prolific issuer, followed by Mexico, followed by Peru. Bolivia, Chile and Guatemala are minor sources. This type, with a laureate bust of Charles IV, was minted 1791 only and is very rare. The standard bust was minted 1791-1808 and is scarce.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .875 fine gold, .761 troy oz AGW; this specimen: 26.96 grams, 37.00 mm.
Catalog reference: KM 77, Fr-14, Calico Onza-1085.
- Kraljevich, John, John Pack, Elizabeth O. Piper and Frank Van Valen, The Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. Collection of World Gold Coins and Medals, Wolfboro, NH: American Numismatic Rarities, 2005.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.