Bolivia 1686-P VR 8 reales
This specimen was lot 23066 in Heritage sale 3030 (New York, January 2014), where it sold for $4,406.25. The catalog description noted, "Carlos II Cob Royal 8 Reales 1686 P-VR, XF Details (Holed) NGC. Nice round flan, with usual hole at 12 o'clock. Bold details, with full legends. Rare in this condition. Ex: Huntington Collection, Lot 26221, with accompanying collection tag." Royals are known of this type from the Potosi mint for 1649-51 but all are rare. The regular cob issues are not nearly as nice. The 1649-52 was a period of reform at the Potosi mint; it was found that the previous mintmasters in office 1625-48 had been debasing the cobs, a crime for which one official paid with his life.
Recorded mintage: unknown but few.
Specification: 27.07 g, .931 fine silver, .810 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-7617, KM-R26, Lazaro-216 (R1).
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3030, featuring the RLM Collection, the Isaac Rudman Collection, the Hans Cook Collection and the Collection of Donald E. Bently, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Menzel, Sewall, Cobs, Pieces of Eight and Treasure Coins, New York: The American Numismatic Society, 2004.