Bolivia 1668-P E 8 reales
Royals are known of this type from the Potosi mint but all are rare. The regular cob issues are not nearly as nice. The years 1649-52 were a period of reform at the Potosi mint; it was found that the previous mintmasters in office 1625-48 had been debasing the cobs, a crime for which one official paid with his life. This specimen was lot 24148 in Heritage sale 3032 (Chicago, April 2014), where it sold for $4,993.75. The catalog description noted, "Charles II 8 Reales 1668 P-E, Potosi mint, Choice VF, holed near 12 o'clock as usual. A redondo or fully round piece, the present specimen is nearly full weight at 26.12 grams, with attractive surfaces and a strong strike. Struck on a broad flan such as the Lazaro plate coin ('Modulo Grande'), it is attractive since well struck and with minimal doubling on the pillar side, albeit the cross side is rather less impressive in it cleanliness. Overall and despite its larger hole, it appears more desirable than the mentioned Lazaro piece, which shows decidedly less detail and is weakly struck in the date on the pillar side. A nice example of this fully round coinage, designated as Galanos in the contemporary documentation of the Potosi mint made available in Lazo Garcia's work. From The Dr. Patrick Tan Collection."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .931 fine silver, .810 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-7538, KM-R26, Lazaro-179.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Menzel, Sewall, Cobs, Pieces of Eight and Treasure Coins, New York: The American Numismatic Society, 2004.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3032, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.