Bohemia 1620 48 kreuzer KM-256
"TSCHECHIEN | Böhmen, Friedrich V. von der Pfalz (Winterkönig), 1619-1622 Kipper-48 Kreuzer 1620. Kuttenberg. Selten. Sehr schön. (kingdom of Bohemia, Frederick V of the Palatinate, the "Winter King", 1619-22, kipper 48 kreuzer of 1620, Kuttenberg mint. Rare, Very fine.)"Kipper 48 kreuzer were struck at Kuttenberg, Prague and Joachimsthal for the Protestant Frederick V and the Hapsburg Ferdinand II. Altho nominally a two-thirds thaler, it is too light and is probably debased as well, being an inflationary issue (1620-24) of the Thirty Years War, along with six, 15, 24, 30, 60, 75, 120, 150 and 300 groschen. Once the kipper period was over, there was a concerted effort to recall and melt down the debased issues, accounting for their rarity today.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: silver, this specimen 15.02 g.
Catalog reference: Dietiker 593. Herinek 19 a, KM 256.
- Richter, Jürg, Sincona sale 43, Gold and Silver Coins and Medals, Zurich: Sincona AG, 2017.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Bohemia 1620 24 kreuzer KM-237 kipper, Prague mint
- Bohemia 1620 24 kreuzer KM-239 kipper, Joachimsthal mint
- Bohemia 1620 48 kreuzer KM-253 kipper, Joachimsthal mint
- Bohemia 1622 150 groschen KM-308
- Pfalz 1621 12 kreuzer kipper
- Silesia 1621-HR 30 kreuzer kipprt
- Coins and currency dated 1620
- return to coins of Bohemia