Bavaria 1848 2 thaler Dav-598
"DEUTSCHLAND Bayern, Königreich Maximilian II. 1848-1864. Doppelter Vereinstaler 1848. Übergabe der Krone an Maximilian. Kl. Kr. Vorzüglich. (Kingdom of Bavaria, Maximilian II, 1848-64, double union thaler of 1848, on the abdication of the throne to Maximilian. Light hairlines, extremely fine.)"The second specimen was lot 23856 in Heritage sale 3020 (Long Beach, September 2012), where it sold for $1,762.50. The catalog description noted, "Bavaria. Maximilian II 2 Taler 1848, MS63 PCGS, issued to celebrate the promulgation of the new Bavarian constitution. Delicate silvery toning and with some cameo features present. Previously listed as KM447." This type is incorrectly catalogued by Sincona; it is not the abdication commemorative (Dav-597) but the issue honoring the new constitution (Dav-598), which is quite a bit less valuable.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 37.12 g, .900 fine silver, this specimen 37,12 g.
Catalog reference: Kahnt 115. Thun 88, Dav-598, KM 830.1 (formerly KM 447).
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Craig, William D., Germanic Coinages: Charlemagne through Wilhelm II, Mountain View, CA: 1954.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns and Talers, Since 1800, 2nd Ed., London: Spink & Son, 1964.
- Numismatic Coins, Medals, Banknotes & Books: Auction 9, Zurich: SINCONA AG, 2012.
- Tucker, Warren, and Cris Bierrenbach, Heritage Signature Auction 3020: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2012.