Bavaria 1835 thaler Dav-576
This specimen was lot 3622 in Stacks-Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2015), where it sold for $329. The catalog description noted, "GERMANY. Bavaria. Taler, 1835. NGC Unc Details--Reverse Scratched. Reverse commemorates the construction of the first steam-hauled railway in Germany, known as the Bavarian Ludwig Railway. Small scratch on the reverse. Light gold hued toning. Lustrous surfaces and nice details. From the Rockaway Collection." The 1830's saw a gush of commemoratives--seven in 1835 alone--in Bavaria on significant and insignificant topics. The fineness was lowered from .868 to .833 in 1827.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 28.06 g, .833 fine silver.
Catalog reference: Dav-576; KM-779.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Craig, William D., Germanic Coinages: Charlemagne through Wilhelm II, Mountain View, CA: 1954.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns and Talers, Since 1800, 2nd Ed., London: Spink & Son, 1964.
- Ponterio, Richard, The January 2015 NYINC Auction: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Featuring the John W. Adams and Ray Czabor Collections, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2014.
- 1834 thaler
- 1835 ducat
- 1835 thaler admission of Baden into customs union
- 1835 6 kreuzer
- 1835 thaler, king Otto monument
- 1835 thaler, mortgage bank
- 1835 thaler, Maximilian Joseph statue
- 1835 thaler, Benedictine School
- 1836 thaler
- return to coinage of German States, Bavaria
- Coins and currency dated 1835