Austria 1765 ducat Fr-432
"Joseph II. 1765-1790 Dukat 1765. Wien. Gutes vorzüglich. (Holy Roman Empire, Joseph II, 1765-90, ducat of 1765, Vienna mint. Good extremely fine.)"On the death of the emperor Francis I in 1765, his son Joseph II ascended the throne while his redoubtable mother Maria Theresia was still very much alive. Joseph's first ducat, therefore, carefully displayed his personal arms rather than the imperial arms with the double headed eagle. This type is expensive. Both Friedberg and the SCWC state that this issue should bear the Vienna mintmark "A", which we fail to discern on this specimen after much study.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 3.49 g, .986 fine gold, .110 troy oz AGW, this specimen 3.48 g.
Catalog reference: KM 1844, Herinek 19. Fr-432.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Jürg Richter, Auction 38, Gold Coins and Medals, Zurich: Sincona AG, 2017.
- Austria 1761 ducat Fr-406
- Batthyani 1764 ducat Fr-552
- 1765 17 kreuzer, Nagybánya mint
- Austria 1765-Vienna thaler Dav-1112
- Austria 1765-Vienna thaler Dav-1113 St. Anne mine
- Austria 1765-Hall thaler Dav-1122
- Burgau 1765 thaler Dav-1147
- Burgau 1765-G SC thaler Dav-1147
- Austria 1765-WI 6 ducats Fr-401
- 1766 thaler, Joseph II
- 1766 ducat, Maria Theresia
- Coins and currency dated 1765
- return to coins of Austria