Austria 1754-PR thaler Dav-1159
"HOLY ROMAN EMPIRE - AUSTRIA. Franz I. 1745-1765 Taler 1754. Prag. Sehr schön-vorzüglich. (Holy Roman Empire, Francis I, 1745-65, thaler of 1754, Prague mint. Very fine-extremely fine.)"On the death of Charles VI in 1740, the redoubtable Maria Theresia was crowned Archduchess of Austria and queen of Hungary but, being a woman, could not be given the imperial crown. Therefore, after much debate and a war fomented by Frederick the Great of Prussia, her husband Francis of Lorraine was crowned Holy Roman Emperor in 1745. This thaler was issued 1751-65 from Hall (Dav-1155), Vienna, Kremnitz (Dav-1157) and Prague (shown here), and is common.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 28.82 g, .833 fine silver, this specimen 28.11 g.
Catalog reference: Dietiker 1100. Herinek 149. Dav-1159, KM 2038.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns, 1700-1800, 2nd Ed., London: Spink & Son, 1964.
- Jürg Richter, Münzen und Medaillen des Römisch-Deutsches Reiches, Auktion 34, Zurich: Sincona AG, 2016.
- 1752-WI thaler, Vienna mint, Francis I
- Austria 1754-KB thaler Dav-1157 Franz I
- Austria 1754-PR ducat Fr-428 Francis I, Prague mint
- Austria 1754 5 ducats Fr-402 Maria Theresia
- Austria 1755 thaler Dav-1136 Maria Theresia
- Austria 1757-PR thaler Dav-1158 Franz I
- Austria 1757 thaler Dav-1136 Maria Theresia
- Coins and currency dated 1754
- return to coins of Austria