Austria (1686-96)-Hall 2 thaler Dav-3252
A double thaler of the Hall mint struck for Austria while Leopold I was emperor. This specimen was lot 50428 in Heritage sale 425 (New York, January 2007), where it sold for $1,840. The catalog description noted, "Leopold the Hogmouth 2 Taler ND (1686) Hall, without lion's head, MS63 NGC, choice silver-gray patina." The type was struck 1686-96 and, while it is expensive, is more available than most double thalers.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Catalog reference: KM 1338, Davenport 3252.
- Craig, William D., Germanic Coinages: Charlemagne through Wilhelm II, Mountain View, CA: 1954.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- (1680-86) double thaler, Hall mint, Dav-3250
- (1680-86) double thaler, Hall mint, Dav-3253
- (1680-86) double thaler, Hall mint, Dav-3249
- (1685) double thaler, Hall mint, Dav-3251
- (1680-1705) ducat, Hall mint
- Austria 1684-IAN thaler Dav-3232
- 1686 thaler, Breslau mint
- 1698 thaler, Hall mint
- Coins and currency dated 1686
- return to coins of Austria