Australia 2006 5 cents
In 1966, Australia abandoned the sterling coinage she had used since the days of Captain Cook and adopted the decimal dollar and cent. This five cent piece was struck since 1999 and is still being struck today. The spiny echidna still curls up on the reverse of current issues. Coinage production, formerly divided among the Sydney, Perth and Melbourne mints, is now concentrated at the Canberra Mint. The Perth mint manufactures and markets commemoratives.
Recorded mintage: 306,528,000 plus proofs plus 5,829 in silver plus 300 in gold.
Specification: 2.83 g, copper-nickel, 19.4 mm diameter, designed by Ian Rank-Broadley and Stuart Devlin.
Catalog reference: KM 401.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 2001-Date, 11th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- McDonald, Greg, The Pocket Guide to Australian Coins and Banknotes, 23rd ed., Lavington, Australia, 2017.
- 2004 5 cents
- 2006 10 cents
- Australia 2006 5 dollars KM-959 gold koala, 1/25 oz.
- Australia 2006 15 dollars KM-960 gold koala, 1/10 oz.
- 2006 25 dollars, gold, World Cup in Germany
- 2006 50 dollars, koala, Discover Australia
- 2006 50 dollars, Cooktown Orchid, Discover Australia, ½ oz platinum
- 2006 50 dollars, Sturt's Desert Rose, Discover Australia, ½ oz platinum
- 2006 50 dollars, Royal Bluebell, Discover Australia, ½ oz platinum
- 2006 50 dollars, Red & Green Kangaroo Paw, Discover Australia, ½ oz platinum
- 2006 50 dollars, Common Pink Heath, Discover Australia, ½ oz platinum
- 2006 100 dollars, 1 oz gold, Year of the Dog
- 2009 5 cents
- Coins and currency dated 2006
- return to coins of Australia