Australia 1930-M sovereign
"Australien, George V. 1910-1936 Sovereign 1930. Melbourne. Fast FDC. (Australia, George V, 1910-36, sovereign of 1930, Melbourne mint. About uncirculated.)"This type was struck 1929-31 at the Melbourne and Perth mints. The Australian sovereign is identical to the ordinary British sovereign in every respect except for the addition of a mintmark, which will be found buried in the rock below the dragon on the reverse. As British issues effectively ceased after 1916, Australian sovereigns of George V are quite a bit more common. This issue is a slight modification of KM 29, struck 1911-28.
Recorded mintage: 77,000, a slightly better date, plus a few rare proofs.
Specification: 7.99 g, .917 fine gold, .2354 troy oz AGW, this specimen 7.99 g.
Catalog reference: Seaby 4000. Schl. 583, Fr-39; KM-32.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- McDonald, Greg, The Pocket Guide to Australian Coins and Banknotes, 23rd ed., Lavington, Australia, 2017.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Richter, Jürg, Sincona sale 43, Gold and Silver Coins and Medals, Zurich: Sincona AG, 2017.