Australia 1923 half penny
The first specimen was part of lot 40410 in Ponterio sale 168 (Philadelphia, August 2012), where it sold for $4,112. The catalog description noted, "AUSTRALIA. 1/2 Penny, 1923. PCGS AU-53 Secure Holder. Key date." The second specimen was lot 1069 in Ponterio sale 173 (New York, January 2013), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "AUSTRALIA. 1/2 Penny, 1923. NGC AU-55 BN. VERY RARE. Key date." The fairly substantial mintage listed below is believed to have been of 1922 dated coins, which are reasonably common. The third specimen was lot 29336 in Heritage sale 3040 (Chicago, April 2015), where it sold for $1,762.50. The catalog description noted, "George V 1/2 Penny 1923-(M) XF45 PCGS, Melbourne mint. The key date in the series, this attractive selection features even, chestnut-brown color with darker tone surrounding the devices and typical wear for the grade. Aside from a few stray ticks, the fields are surprisingly clear which further adds to the appeal of this scarce offering."
Recorded mintage: 1,113,000.
Catalog reference: KM-22.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- McDonald, Greg, The Pocket Guide to Australian Coins and Banknotes, 23rd ed., Lavington, Australia, 2017.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 168: The Official ANA Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2012.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio Sale 173: The January NYINC 2013 Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2012.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage Signature Auction 3040, featuring the Santa Maria, the Alan Dean and the Valley View Life Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2015.