Australia 1916-M sovereign
"Australien, George V. 1910-1936. Sovereign 1916 M, Melbourne. NGC MS63. (Australia, George V, 1910-36, sovereign of 1916, Melbourne mint. Uncirculated.)"This type, struck 1911-31 at Sydney, Melbourne and Perth, is identical to the ordinary British sovereign in every respect except for the mintmark. The Sydney mint was opened in 1855 to strike the gold found in Australia and was not employed to strike ordinary circulation coinage until 1920.
Recorded mintage: 1,277,000.
Specification: 7.99 g, .917 fine gold, 0.234 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 29, Seaby 3999, Fr-38.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 47th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- McDonald, Greg, The Pocket Guide to Australian Coins and Banknotes, 23rd ed., Lavington, Australia, 2017.
- Richter, Jurg, Sincona Auction 59: Gold and Silver Coins and Medals; Coins and Medals from Switzerland, Zurich: SINCONA AG, 2019.