Australia 1914-S 1/2 sovereign
This specimen was lot 32462 in Heritage sale 3064 (Chicago, April 2018), where it sold for $384. The catalog description noted, "George V gold 1/2 Sovereign 1914-S MS63 NGC, Sydney mint. A captivating example with dark contouring of George's bust in even the lowest light." The half sovereign was minted in a fraction of the quantity of the full sovereign but it must have been saved as it is today common. It was struck for George V 1911-18 at all three Australian mints.
Recorded mintage: 322,000.
Specification: 3.99 g, .917 fine gold, 19 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: S-4007, Fr-42, KM 28.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- McDonald, Greg, The Pocket Guide to Australian Coins and Banknotes, 23rd ed., Lavington, Australia, 2017.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach and Warren Tucker, Heritage World Coin Auction 3064, featuring the Doug Robins Collection of Canadian Tokens, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2018.