Australia 1909-S sovereign
This specimen was lot 42257 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2019), where it sold for $336. The catalog description noted, "AUSTRALIA. Sovereign, 1909-S. Sydney Mint. PCGS MS-63 Gold Shield. Attractive satiny luster exists in the fields with subtle tone on both sides." This date, from a type struck 1902-10 at Perth, Melbourne and Sydney (shown here), is common.
Recorded mintage: 2,057,000.
Specification: 7.98 g, .917 fine gold, 0.2355 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: S-3973; Fr-32; KM-15.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- McDonald, Greg, The Pocket Guide to Australian Coins and Banknotes, 23rd ed., Lavington, Australia, 2017.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, Matt Orsini and Cris Chatigny, The January 2019 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.