Australia 1909-P sovereign
This specimen was lot 1000 in Goldberg sale 116 (Los Angeles, June 2020), where it sold for $450. The catalog description noted, "Australia. Sovereign, 1909-P. Edward VII. Trace of luster. PCGS graded AU-55." This date, from a type struck 1902-10 at Perth (shown here), Melbourne and Sydney, is common.
Recorded mintage: 4,875,000.
Specification: 7.98 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: Fr-34; S.3972; KM-15.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 47th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- McDonald, Greg, The Pocket Guide to Australian Coins and Banknotes, 23rd ed., Lavington, Australia, 2017.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, John Lavender, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 116: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2020.